Become a Certified Nonprofit Accounting Professional.
Improve your knowledge. Advance your cause.
A nationally-recognized certification program, the Certified Nonprofit Accounting Professional (CNAP) training program teaches critical skills and best practices specific to nonprofit financial management. A CNAP designation certifies the expertise and commitment of nonprofit financial managers and accounting professionals. Program graduates leave with the know-how and action plans they need to make an impact in their organizations right away. The CNAP Training Program consists of the CNAP Essentials and follow up CNAP Advanced courses. CNAP Essentials is the gold standard training for nonprofit financial professionals.
By the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Learn about the nature of nonprofit organizations and the roles and responsibilities of governance entities
- Discuss nonprofit GAAP and financial statements
- Develop and monitor budgets and contracts
- Discuss how to allocate costs
- Learn about effective fiscal systems, internal controls and audits
- Cite IRS disclosure requirements and the basics of IRS form 990
- Review previous lessons and discuss how to apply them moving forward
Click here to see the full curriculum.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites to take this course; however, in order to receive the CNAP certification, participants must have a minimum of 18 months of experience in a fiscal management capacity at a nonprofit organization. Participants without the requisite experience can still take the course and submit proof of their work experience once they have completed the requirement.
Advanced preparation: None.
COURSE FEE: $995
The course fee includes 3 days of in-person training with meals, all course materials, certification exam and certification fee.
CPE CREDIT: BDO USA, LLP is authorized to offer 14 Total CPE (Continuing Professional Education) credits through the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy in the following fields:
- Accounting: 8 CPE
- Finance: 2 CPE
- Auditing: 2 CPE
- Taxes: 2 CPE
To receive CPE credit for participation in a BDO training program, you must attend the entire program.
National Registry of CPE Sponsors
BDO USA, LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State Boards of Accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual course for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
BDO FMA is continually monitoring the COVID-19 and Delta Variant situation, remaining vigilant, and considering all requirements and recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and applicable local authorities. As a firm, we will continue to take steps to promote the safety of our clients, guests and employees attending BDO-hosted live events and will follow local authorities’ requirements and venue protocols. Participants may be asked to complete a screening protocol confirming they are not ill and/or within an exposure risk category, wear masks, social distance, and/or produce proof of vaccination status as required by each locale and venue. Your health and safety are our top priorities, we look forward to welcoming you, and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we navigate these uncertain times together.
While we have implemented various safety policies, we cannot eliminate every possible risk, and cannot guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19 at the event. By voluntarily attending the event, you assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19. Our health and safety requirements are subject to change at any time. Should event protocols change, registered guests will be promptly notified.
We ask that you please not attend if any of the following is true:
- At any time during the 10 days before the event, you have tested positive for COVID-19.
- At any time during the 10 days before the event, you (i) have been exposed via close contact with someone who has COVID-19 and (ii) you are not fully vaccinated and/or have not had a confirmed case of COVID-19 within the past 90 days.
- At any time during the 48 hours before the event, you have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., a fever of 100.4F or higher, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking muscle pain/achiness, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, nasal congestion, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, or any other symptoms associated with COVID-19 identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
- At the time of the event, you are subject to a federal, state or local government order requiring you to quarantine or isolate due to COVID-19.
A full refund will be given if you are not able to attend due to any of the above.
Event Cancellation Policy
Event Cancellation by BDO FMA
BDO FMA reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or other circumstances which would make the event non-viable. If BDO FMA cancels an event, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to a different date.
Event Cancellation by Participant
BDO FMA will offer registrants a full refund less a 3% processing fee for requests made in writing no later than three days before the event. Requests made later than three days prior to the training will receive a refund of 50%. Registrants can also request to transfer to another class at no extra cost.
CNAP, Certified Nonprofit Accounting Professional, is a copyright-protected national program developed by members of the Nonprofit CPAs Alliance a division of The Rainmaker Alliance.
Here is the course outline:
In this course you will learn concepts and best practices to develop a sound fiscal management infrastructure for your nonprofit organization.
3 Day Live Sessions
Qualified instructors will take participants on a deep dive into essential nonprofit financial management skills. Day 1 will explore the nature of nonprofits and governance entities, as well as financial reporting rules. Day 2 tackles the budgeting process and internal controls. Day 3 reviews audits and IRS regulations.
Pass the CNAP certification exam, and submit your course feedback and 18-month employment verification letter to receive your CNAP Certificate of Completion.
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|CNAP Essentials Certificate of Completion|
|CNAP Completion Letter|
|CNAP Essentials Exam Pass Documentation|